Residents of Denman Prospect have formed a mowing group to help keep the verges and streetscapes of
our new suburb looking good.
Generally, residents and owners are responsible for maintaining the Verge (Nature Strip) between their property and the street but not everyone can or does. In many cases, verges outside vacant blocks are also lacking maintenance.
Unmanaged verges often affect adjacent footpaths making them hard to pass, they accumulate litter, provide hiding spot for snakes, and simply look untidy. This is where our group of volunteers can assist other residents maintain their verges.
How can we help the community?
The group helps residents (where feasible) based on the following priorities
- People who cannot maintain their own verges or lawns
- People who cannot justify the expense of a mower to maintain a small area of grass
- Other un-loved verges that are not the responsibility of CED/TCCS (see below)
If you fall into these categories or know someone who does, please request assistance below
How can the community help us?
- Residents are welcome to join the group and contribute their time to help tidying up the streets. Please enquire below.
- The group accepts donations of equipment or funds which will be put towards maintenance and replacement of equipment.
- We welcome suggestions of areas needing clean-ups or people needing assistance.
The group currently has access to the following equipment
- Line trimmers
- Edging tool
- Leaf blower
- Rakes, broom, litter pickup tool
Equipment and a first aid kit has been donated by CED, Communities@Work and group volunteers.
In future the group may be able to loan equipment to residents in the area for them to maintain their own property if they don’t have the necessary tools already.
Maintenance areas of responsibility
- Capital Estate Developments (CED) – Developers of Denman Prospect
- Denman Village shops
- Display home precincts
- Transport Canberra and City Services (TCCS) – ACT Government
- Homeowners (or body corporate for housing complexes)
- Verges and nature strips adjacent to their premises
Further information from the ACT Government
Request assistance or offer your help
Parks and Reserves in Denman Prospect – Responsibility of TCCS
Interested in Helping?
If you’re keen on helping with clean-ups, please bring your own personal protective equipment (PPE) including:
- Eye protection
- Hearing protection: Earmuffs or ear plugs – Some disposable ear plugs are available
- Sun protection: Hat, sunscreen, clothing
- Foot protection: Enclosed shoes or boots
- Dust protection: Any sort of mask